Rennes again
At the moment I'm in Rennes staying with Jim. Last Wednesday we travelled from Oslo to Rennes via a stopover in London (well, Stansted). Since then, I have been mostly bludging. Also some reading (The Constant Gardener - good book, we see the film tonight), running, shopping, cleaning, planning remaining travels and meeting some of Jim's friends.
And the food. What can I say? Norwegian cuisine has a reputation up there with the English (well, down there really). Brown cheese is quite nice, but doesn't cut it against the range, quality and availability of French cheeses. And while a glass of wine with dinner is a big deal in Norge, it's standard here, and available in supermarkets rather than the bloody vinmonopolet (yes, in Norway the government very openly has a monopoly on sales of wine and spirits - I think it's crazy).
So once again I've been hopping into gallettes avec cidre, tartiflette avec vin de savoie, and pain tradition avec beaucoup de chose, especially chevre and camembert. Yummy.
Tomorrow I take a train to Paris where I jump on a night train to Madrid. From there I plan to head south to beautiful Andalucia. There I'll spend a week dividing my time between Seville, Cordoba and Granada. Wonderful!
At some stage I might do some catch-up blogging: Dresden, Christmas and skiing in Lillehammer, and goodbye to Oslo. Maybe at some stage I'll mention my trips to Bergen and Didrik's cabin in the mountain, which were ages ago.
And the food. What can I say? Norwegian cuisine has a reputation up there with the English (well, down there really). Brown cheese is quite nice, but doesn't cut it against the range, quality and availability of French cheeses. And while a glass of wine with dinner is a big deal in Norge, it's standard here, and available in supermarkets rather than the bloody vinmonopolet (yes, in Norway the government very openly has a monopoly on sales of wine and spirits - I think it's crazy).
So once again I've been hopping into gallettes avec cidre, tartiflette avec vin de savoie, and pain tradition avec beaucoup de chose, especially chevre and camembert. Yummy.
Tomorrow I take a train to Paris where I jump on a night train to Madrid. From there I plan to head south to beautiful Andalucia. There I'll spend a week dividing my time between Seville, Cordoba and Granada. Wonderful!
At some stage I might do some catch-up blogging: Dresden, Christmas and skiing in Lillehammer, and goodbye to Oslo. Maybe at some stage I'll mention my trips to Bergen and Didrik's cabin in the mountain, which were ages ago.

2 Comments:
Hey Lee,
I've been thinking about you. Just read a bit of what you've been up to. I hope you're enjoying it all. When do you come back to Australia? I probably should email you but I'm being naughty and reading this at work so this will be it for now :) I hope all is well. Lots of love coming your way. Esther
By
Anonymous, at 4:32 pm
Lee,
You seem to be stuck in Rennes! It must be about time to move on.
By
Anonymous, at 12:00 pm
Post a Comment
<< Home