Vikings and Fjords

Monday, December 12, 2005

It's all happening ...

Well the semester finished for me at 12:00 on Friday with the completion of my ethics exam. We had a choice of four unseen questions, and I chose one on jus in bello with respect to humans and the natural environment, and another about whether or not Walzer's claim of the independence of jus ad bellum (the justice of going to war)and jus in bello (justice in war) is robust.
Sveinung, the director of Bjorknes, hosted a little party for our class at 12:30, complete with Australian sparkling wine and a little gift for each of us - a beautiful hand-blown Hadeland Glassverk candle holder. I had a few quiet drinks with some of my classmates on Friday night, and I spent some time talking about Treasury with Mark's girlfriend Alva, who started as a grad there this year.

Saturday night was the big end of year party hosted by Haakon and his wife Mariann. It was great - everyone came along, including Sven and Henrik, two of our three teachers. I didn't overdo it this time :)

Today I said goodbye to some friends and had a late lunch/early dinner with Mark, Alva, Stephie and Simon before Stephie and Simon both left to catch flights out of Oslo. Great conversation - including the dodginess of Anker, tax policy (and how I think death tax should be reintroduced), water management in Australia, telecommunications in regional Australia, the riots in Sydney and race relations and stereotypes in Australia in general.

I have also started to organise my holidays. I'm going skiing tomorrow and on Wednesday evening I am heading to Berlin for 6 days - exciting!
Jim arrives here on the 21st and we head up to Lillehammer for a week in the snow. I'm thinking of returning with him to Rennes and from there traveling to Spain and the south-west of France for a few weeks before I fly out of Paris on 20 January. It's all happening!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home