First exam done
I got up this morning and did some yoga, had my breakfast and was set to head to school early to print out my notes for a quick refresher before my 10am exam. Then at 8:50 I looked at my phone and saw a message from my friend Sarah saying "Where are you? The exam starts at 9!" Oh shit.
I ran out the door and jumped on the next tram to Bjorknes. Needless to say I wasn't feeling too crash hot. When I got on the tram I started blacking out, so I spent most of the trip sitting with my head between my knees taking deep breaths to try to avoid losing consciousness and to keep a calm state of mind for my exam. I've always had a bit of a fainting tendency - I think it's a family thing as Jim and Em also tend to keel over easily.
On the tram I got a call from Nathalie from Bjorknes saying to come to the office when I arrived as they do not usually let people sit exams if they arrive late. This didn't help my composure very much, but I figured that at ANU they cope with people arriving late, so I had an argument in my favour as the course is technically an ANU one. When I arrived Nathalie said I was allowed to sit the paper and that I could even have until 1:20 to make up for the 20 minutes I missed by arriving late, which was very generous.
So I arrived at the exam room, still feeling a bit jittery, and got a few encouraging nods and smiles from my classmates and mandarinne chucked at me from Stephie (which I of course collected cleanly, being a keeper). It's (generally) not ok to be late to Norwegian exams, but it is ok to eat during them.
We had 4 hours to answer two questions out of the four we received a few weeks ago: the first on military forces engaging in humanitarian tasks, the second on the implications of democratic peace theory for peacebuilding policies.
I settled down to work drawing up a plan and once I started writing I just got on with it and forgot about the whole debacle. I finished with the others at 1pm. Partly I felt guilty about getting extra time when it was my own bloody fault for being late, partly my hand was cramping, I needed to go to the loo, and I'd finished both questions including all the key points I could remember and didn't want to be left solo while everyone rejoiced outside.
I think in the end I'll do ok.
It was a horrible feeling. I have not been late for an exam before, it's always been a big fear and I usually triple-check the time, location, and details. Also I've spent a lot of time studying with others over the last week, and though we often reminded each other to be there 15 minutes early for the exam, we did not mention the start time. Oh well. Lesson learnt, hopefully no harm done - though if I get a 79 for CRPB I'll be cursing myself ...
I ran out the door and jumped on the next tram to Bjorknes. Needless to say I wasn't feeling too crash hot. When I got on the tram I started blacking out, so I spent most of the trip sitting with my head between my knees taking deep breaths to try to avoid losing consciousness and to keep a calm state of mind for my exam. I've always had a bit of a fainting tendency - I think it's a family thing as Jim and Em also tend to keel over easily.
On the tram I got a call from Nathalie from Bjorknes saying to come to the office when I arrived as they do not usually let people sit exams if they arrive late. This didn't help my composure very much, but I figured that at ANU they cope with people arriving late, so I had an argument in my favour as the course is technically an ANU one. When I arrived Nathalie said I was allowed to sit the paper and that I could even have until 1:20 to make up for the 20 minutes I missed by arriving late, which was very generous.
So I arrived at the exam room, still feeling a bit jittery, and got a few encouraging nods and smiles from my classmates and mandarinne chucked at me from Stephie (which I of course collected cleanly, being a keeper). It's (generally) not ok to be late to Norwegian exams, but it is ok to eat during them.
We had 4 hours to answer two questions out of the four we received a few weeks ago: the first on military forces engaging in humanitarian tasks, the second on the implications of democratic peace theory for peacebuilding policies.
I settled down to work drawing up a plan and once I started writing I just got on with it and forgot about the whole debacle. I finished with the others at 1pm. Partly I felt guilty about getting extra time when it was my own bloody fault for being late, partly my hand was cramping, I needed to go to the loo, and I'd finished both questions including all the key points I could remember and didn't want to be left solo while everyone rejoiced outside.
I think in the end I'll do ok.
It was a horrible feeling. I have not been late for an exam before, it's always been a big fear and I usually triple-check the time, location, and details. Also I've spent a lot of time studying with others over the last week, and though we often reminded each other to be there 15 minutes early for the exam, we did not mention the start time. Oh well. Lesson learnt, hopefully no harm done - though if I get a 79 for CRPB I'll be cursing myself ...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home