Vikings and Fjords

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

What is peacebuilding?

One guy reckons it is “a long-term transformation of a war system into a peace system, inspired by a quest for the values of peace and justice, truth and mercy”.
That's what I like about this stuff!
We study the worst aspects of human behaviour, that tend to appear in wartime - genocide, murder, torture, rape, hatred, racism - it makes your heart bleed!
But there is hope - a belief that peace is possible.

1 Comments:

  • Now, I'm not doctor peacebuilding, but that's a pretty silly definition. It just passes the buck to those defining 'peace system' and 'war system'. Also, surely the reasons (sorry, inspiring quest!) for peacebuilding are orthogonal to the definition of what the process is? Frankly, the US are trying to build peace in Iraq, but the more cynical amongst us believe it has more to do with securing their oil supply in the wider area. I submit that this motivation does not make it any less characterisable as "peacebuilding".

    By Blogger Jim, at 10:08 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home