Marseille
I was keen to see Marseille - not sure why as it's reputation wasn't glowing and I had a few people warn me that it might not be the safest place for a sole girl, obviously a tourist, to wander.
But I wanted to go and I wanted genuine bouillabaise, so I went for only one night. I took in the magnificent view from Notre Dame de la Garde, an impressive cathedral on a hill with a big gold statue of the Virgin and Child looking down on the city and port of Marseille. I took a boat out to the Chateau D'If, famous from Dumas' The Count of Monte Christo. The sun reflected brightly off the white rocks and stone buildings in the harbour and yachts and ocean liners glided through the sparkling Mediterranean.
Emily and I used to talk about visiting Greece together - she'd be loving the food and I'd be loving the ruins and remembering stories for each place from Greek mythology or ancient history. Maybe we need to go - if the Mediterranean is that beautiful in Marseille, how would we find the Greek islands?
I needed bouillabaisse partly because I didn't really know what it is - just a famous Marseillaise fish dish. First they dish you a bowl of fish broth. Then they bring out a platter of various fish, other seafood and potatoes, fillet the fish and cover it all with more of the same fish broth. By the side is grated cheese, garlic butter and toasted bread to accompany the meal if so desired. Eating in a restaurant by oneself is lonely.
I need to go back - I don't feel like I really tasted the place properly, too many tourists in the old port, not enough smells and sounds of a city that's a doorway to Africa and yet very French.
But I wanted to go and I wanted genuine bouillabaise, so I went for only one night. I took in the magnificent view from Notre Dame de la Garde, an impressive cathedral on a hill with a big gold statue of the Virgin and Child looking down on the city and port of Marseille. I took a boat out to the Chateau D'If, famous from Dumas' The Count of Monte Christo. The sun reflected brightly off the white rocks and stone buildings in the harbour and yachts and ocean liners glided through the sparkling Mediterranean.
Emily and I used to talk about visiting Greece together - she'd be loving the food and I'd be loving the ruins and remembering stories for each place from Greek mythology or ancient history. Maybe we need to go - if the Mediterranean is that beautiful in Marseille, how would we find the Greek islands?
I needed bouillabaisse partly because I didn't really know what it is - just a famous Marseillaise fish dish. First they dish you a bowl of fish broth. Then they bring out a platter of various fish, other seafood and potatoes, fillet the fish and cover it all with more of the same fish broth. By the side is grated cheese, garlic butter and toasted bread to accompany the meal if so desired. Eating in a restaurant by oneself is lonely.
I need to go back - I don't feel like I really tasted the place properly, too many tourists in the old port, not enough smells and sounds of a city that's a doorway to Africa and yet very French.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home