Malaysia
On the way to Europe, I had a 2-day stopover in Kuala Lumpur. KL reminded me strongly of summers spent in Far North Queensland - hot and very humid. Unlike the summers of my youth, I didn't sensibly spend the heat of the day in air-conditioned comfort, but instead wandered the city checking out the sights.
The highlight was the Islamic Arts Museum, recommended by my former housemate Tash. It had great exhibitions - I particularly liked one on the variety of architectural styles in the Islamic world, represented by models of the most impressive mosques in countries including Iran, Turkey, Egypt, China, Malaysia, Indonesia, Saudi Arabia, Tajikstan and more.
I was also impressed that Dataran Merdeka (Freedom Square), the sight of Malaysia's independence ceremonies in 1957, was a colonial cricket field. When I walked by it they were watering the outfield and it appeared that the pitch is still maintained. I wonder if it is often used for cricket or maintained for nationalistic sentiment - I don't think that cricket is big in Malaysia, but I could be wrong.
The highlight was the Islamic Arts Museum, recommended by my former housemate Tash. It had great exhibitions - I particularly liked one on the variety of architectural styles in the Islamic world, represented by models of the most impressive mosques in countries including Iran, Turkey, Egypt, China, Malaysia, Indonesia, Saudi Arabia, Tajikstan and more.
I was also impressed that Dataran Merdeka (Freedom Square), the sight of Malaysia's independence ceremonies in 1957, was a colonial cricket field. When I walked by it they were watering the outfield and it appeared that the pitch is still maintained. I wonder if it is often used for cricket or maintained for nationalistic sentiment - I don't think that cricket is big in Malaysia, but I could be wrong.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home