Food
Jim has been keen that I sample local foods, and I have willingly obliged.
Breton specialties include crepes and gallettes (savoury crepes), usually accompanied by apple cider. While at uni I went through a period of drinking apple cider as an alternative to beer or wine, especially when the Pig and Whistle opened in Indooroopilly and served pints of the stuff. I always think of Fantastic Mr Fox when I drink cider.
Breton cakes include Far Breton (like a baked custard with prunes), Kouign Amann (a sweet, buttery pastry) and Gateau Breton (like a butter cake maybe). I really liked the far breton but the other sweets were a bit too buttery for me.
Tartiflette is a baked dish composed of potatoes, onions, bacon, creme fraiche, white wine and reblochon cheese. Jim cooked a good one at home one night.
Brittany is also really big on seafood - so far I've only tasted moules marinierre (mussels with a light sauce).
While in Brest we went to a chain restaurant (Maitre Kanter) that serves Alsatian food, in particular choucroute. Choucroute is basically a pile of spiced cabbage (maybe like sauerkraut?), with some boiled potatoes and various meats such as sausages, bacon, ham, pork, or even duck. I felt a bit intimidated when the dish was served. We made a valiant effort at the pile of cabbage but it defeated us.
We thought that a good dare, perhaps for a buck's party or something, would involve ordering a vegetarian choucroute with no potatoes and having to eat the entire pile of cabbage.
We've also been tucking into lots of cheeses, wine, various beers, sausages, pastries and summer stone fruit.
Quite a contrast to my normal diet in Canberra, which was centred around vegetable soups.
I started complaining to Jim at one stage that my bowels wouldn't be able to handle the sudden increase in meat, cheese and butter in my diet and also muttered something about cholestoral levels. He thinks I "eat like a bird", I argue that he is half again my size and so I logically only need about 2/3 the amount of food he does. He still thinks I'm being silly.
Breton specialties include crepes and gallettes (savoury crepes), usually accompanied by apple cider. While at uni I went through a period of drinking apple cider as an alternative to beer or wine, especially when the Pig and Whistle opened in Indooroopilly and served pints of the stuff. I always think of Fantastic Mr Fox when I drink cider.
Breton cakes include Far Breton (like a baked custard with prunes), Kouign Amann (a sweet, buttery pastry) and Gateau Breton (like a butter cake maybe). I really liked the far breton but the other sweets were a bit too buttery for me.
Tartiflette is a baked dish composed of potatoes, onions, bacon, creme fraiche, white wine and reblochon cheese. Jim cooked a good one at home one night.
Brittany is also really big on seafood - so far I've only tasted moules marinierre (mussels with a light sauce).
While in Brest we went to a chain restaurant (Maitre Kanter) that serves Alsatian food, in particular choucroute. Choucroute is basically a pile of spiced cabbage (maybe like sauerkraut?), with some boiled potatoes and various meats such as sausages, bacon, ham, pork, or even duck. I felt a bit intimidated when the dish was served. We made a valiant effort at the pile of cabbage but it defeated us.
We thought that a good dare, perhaps for a buck's party or something, would involve ordering a vegetarian choucroute with no potatoes and having to eat the entire pile of cabbage.
We've also been tucking into lots of cheeses, wine, various beers, sausages, pastries and summer stone fruit.
Quite a contrast to my normal diet in Canberra, which was centred around vegetable soups.
I started complaining to Jim at one stage that my bowels wouldn't be able to handle the sudden increase in meat, cheese and butter in my diet and also muttered something about cholestoral levels. He thinks I "eat like a bird", I argue that he is half again my size and so I logically only need about 2/3 the amount of food he does. He still thinks I'm being silly.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home