Vikings and Fjords

Thursday, September 15, 2005

What am I doing in Norway?

I'm not doubting my decision to be here - I'm loving it, there is nothing else I'd rather be doing at the moment. I just thought I'd outline what I am studying.

This semester is one half of a Master of International Affairs from ANU. It is a specialisation in Peace and Conflict Studies, taught by staff at PRIO and facilitated by Bjorknes Privatskole.
There is one class composed of Australian, Norwegian and international students and we all take three subjects:
  • Conflict Resolution and Peacebuilding (double credit, with extra assessment and reading)
  • Ethics of War and Peace
  • Gender and Conflict

I have tutorials and lectures on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday mornings. Often in the afternoons and on Wednesdays and Fridays I study in the Nobel Institute library, a lovely place.

I completed one double credit subject (International Relations Theory) in first semester this year, and when I return to Canberra next year I'll have two more subjects to complete to obtain the degree. I could choose to spend a semester writing a thesis once my coursework is complete, which would give me a Master of Arts (International Relations). I might do this if a topic grabs me, but that is at least a year into the future - a lifetime!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home